From:
"Frank I. Reiter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 08:11:55 -0400
> 1  "Negative ions" (usual scientific term 'anions' - ions attracted
> to an anode i.e a positive electrode) improve health  beyond doubt.

Which anions - all of them?  What positive effect do they have?  It bugs me
that people make claims for "negative ions" as thought there is this is one
thing.  What little I remember of 1st year chemistry suggests that there are
certainly hundreds or possibly millions of negatively charged ions.  Does
the layman's term "negative ions" refer to all of these?

> 2   Anions also abound near waterfalls and surf  - helping perhaps
> to explain the current series of 'Doonesbury', but anyhow commonly felt to
> improve well-being.

Does agitation of water create anions, or does it cause anions in the water
to become air born?

> 4   Don't 'beeswax' candles typically also contain a proportion of
> paraffin?  Recipes I've seen certainly do.

Many people sell pure beeswax candles.  Others I suppose reduce costs by
mixing with paraffin.

> Candles help people in many undoubted ways.  Perhaps anion
> generation will turn out to be another; but I'd discourage hype based on
> this claim, until it gets clarified.

That is exactly why I am asking.  If there is some benefit here I want to
tell people about it, but I am not going to spread this information without
having at least a rudimentary understanding of what it means and nodding
heads from people that understand it better than I do.  I know that the
BEE-L membership includes many scientists from different disciplines and I
am hoping that they will be able to clarify this for me.

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://WWW.BlessedBee.ca