From:
Randall Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2015 16:12:10 -0500
> While I understand that education on bees is valuable and very interesting,
> I have never understood why I should spend the time and effort becoming a
> master beekeeper...

In the North Carolina Master Beekeeper Program, education and experience
is of course critical but it is a means to an end, not the end itself.
Until very recently, the program was maintained by NCSU's Cooperative
Extension program (due to state budget cuts, it is now run by the NC
State Beekeepers Association alone). The intent was, and still is, that
the Master Beekeepers would be a way for Cooperative Extension to expand
its reach across the state, by more or less "training the trainers", or
at least "encouraging, motivating and vetting the trainers." Movement
through the steps of the program is based in part on testing and
demonstration of expertise but also on how much outreach the participant
has done in their community, e.g. teaching classes, giving presentations
at schools, serving in local bee clubs, writing articles, mentoring
others and so on. In practice, not every Master Beekeeper is a shining
star and not all of them keep up their outreach activities after getting
their certificates, but for the most part they become the recognized
beekeepers in their areas and are the go-to people when others need
advice or assistance.

Like the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz, what separates them from others
is just a piece of paper, but sometimes a piece of paper shows that the
person has taken the time and effort to go to the trouble to get it...
which means something.

Randall Austin