From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 1996 03:55:27 -0600
> but not wearing gloves will stop you worrying about
> bee stinging you "mainly" arround the watch.

Hmmm.

I usually don't wear gloves, and I haven't worn a watch for years,
but i do recall that when i did, the area around the watch band was
a favourite target if the bees were getting at all cranky.

My fingers mainly get stung only because of pressing bees or general
clumsiness, but if the bees got stirred up at all, the watch band
area got it worst, whether the band was  made of leather, or steel.

this was my personal experience.  Perhaps different people have
different results due to differences in sweat odor or movement
habits.

And perhaps the bees make a difference, too.  we had some NZ bees
several years ago that would not take the time to distinguish
between a watch band and anything else.  They stung *anything* that
was convenient -- indiscriminately.  they were the most vicious bees
i ever worked -- bar none.  (The NZ bees we got this year were much
more normal in temperament).

Interestingly enough, this is not something I am particularly
conscious about -- and I have to stop to think about it -- but it
seems to me that the bees do not attack my fingers much at all
compared to the backs of my hands and arms.  (This is assuming I am
wearing a bee suit and veil.  Otherwise, the first hint of annoyance
is around the head and (naked) upper body).

Before they start stinging, they will often start by biting on the
wrists and arms.  If I ignore that, then they start to sting very
lightly.  If I ignore that, then they start to drive their points
home a bit more forcefully.  After that, things really get
unpleasant.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>