Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 05:16:32 EDT
In a message dated 28/08/2005 05:04:44 GMT Standard Time, Dennis Murrell
writes:

> Top bar hives, a spinoff of the small cell experimenting I've done, is one
> of these areas. They have some unique advantages that aren't available with
> standard equipment. And I've experienced the same mite tolerant results,
> with bees in a top bar hive, as with small cell, as long as the broodnest
> structure is left intact.

I have a TBH which the bees seem to like and so do I because it is easy to
work and in the course of about 5 years I have never received a sting while
doing so, even with no smoke.  They do get mites but I haven't noticed them being
as plentiful as in other hives.  Normally I treat with Apiguard (thymol gel)
in the Autumn.

The downside is that the hive is not as productive as storified ones.

Chris (UK)