From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:18:31 -0500
After reading the latest posts on AHB I just don't  understand why
northern beekeepers en masse would not unite across state lines to
put an end to shipment of bees across state lines and work together
to develop local queen breeding techniques.

Perhaps a stringent certification process could be developed  that
would allow shipments of packages and queens from southern areas
when a reasonable protocol is followed to keep AHB genetics out.

Here in Mn, in last months Dept of Ag newsletter, it was noted  that
hives were found from 4 seperate beekeepers with small hive beetle
infestation last season .... all 4 were commercial migratory
beekeepers.  Of course these are just the hives that were found. I
assume there are dozens that were not.

We already have the history to show that self policing does not work at
keeping mites and SHB contained.

Obviously this idea of closed borders has great implications to the
industry and certian individuals. So does doing nothing.............

I'm at a loss for how any beekeeper would explain to Joe or Jane
public why we allow massive movement of bee hives across the USA
with no way to insure we are not spreading the AHB genetics .

My guess is that the media and some politicians will figure out that
this is crazy and borders will close with in the next 5 years.  Its just
common sense.

We should do it on our own in a way that helps our industry and
protects livelihoods rather then let the hammer fall and let
non-beekeepers define the new laws.

Just like an alcoholic who follows the 12 step program..... admitting
the scope of the problem is the first step