From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:28:59 -0800
Randy Oliver and all:
Wanted to let you know I've spent over two days going over
the frames Mann Lake sent me and comparing physically side
by side with the S. Korean Plastic 4.9mm that Dadant sold
under contract, and the Dadant beeswax 4.9mm currently
sold, and also what I physically hand make.

Randy is right in that the plastic appears to be 5.0mm
sizing, measuring from all three basic positions, and for
10 linear cells, and 49.mm measured length,  or whole rows
measured. To bees there is a big difference between 5.0mm
and 4.9mm sizing and this is DEFINITELY 5.0mm size for the
Mann Lake product. I cannot see it 4.9mm at all.

The cell walls on the Mann Lake product are more pronounced
then the S. Korean plastic foundation and also would
therefore tend to keep the combs drawn more to the 5.0mm
sizing also, which would then make for difference in royal
jelly richness for first teather of JGH for triggering
varroa reproduction.

Here I would like to say, Ed and I after 8 years were
forced to retool, due to our bees living day to day with
the mites, but having more and more problems with increased
foul broods, and not making productive crop for honey for
resale. With then going down .1mm smaller the growing foul
brood problem stopped(here I am talking EFB/AFB with
parafoul biggest problem),and has never returned, along
with chalk etc in our hives.

For a first regression down tool I see it as a fine product
and will let Jack Thomas know with Mann Lake, But for
control of broodnest problems and already knowing we could
only cure it for the colonies we keep by going smaller the
extra 1.mm, I would recommend upon drawning out and usage
that then 4.9mm size be fed into the heart of the broodnest
for the  center 4-6 frames in broodnest boxes whether 1
deep or 3 deeps for those practicing unlimited broodnest
management.The 5.0mm sizing could then be used in the side
frames and honey supers, and as beekeeprs are already using
in honey supers for over a year, should be any problem, as
it is already being done.

But for seed comb for converting broodnest this like honey
super cell, looks like a go FWIW.

Congratulation Randy for measuring right on it would seem
IMPOV.

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby

Have a burning question?