From:
Richard Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 09:24:30 -0400
Three ways it can add cost to food.

1) It creates a new class of food.  Non-GMO, non-organic becomes MORE expensive.  It already is demanding a premium because its in demand by Japan and EU.  This is conventional crops growing with chemicals normally but NOT GMO.  They are already paying per bushel premiums OVER the 8.33/bu spot end of day at the close of of market yesterday for corn.  THat corn gets sent to Japan and the EU, right down the river to New Orleans and across the ocean.  Creating a new class of food WILL create a new price scheme.

2) You have to PROVE or DISPROVE its a GMO product, which means sampling and testing which means you need agencies, certifiers, labels,and whole host of ther infrastructure to make it work which all costs money.

3) Litigation.  Law suits against those claiming to have non-GMO products are sued when someone claims they DO have GMO products.  Cross contamination, the loss of organic certification or naturally grown certification.  There is a whole brave new world of class action lawsuits waiting to happen.

Adding more labels to my honey jar means less money for me.  I try REALLY hard to be a good beekeeper and honey seller and I do my best to keep my hives chemical free.  The thought that I should have to test my honey to guarantee its GMO free is absurd.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855