From:
Brad Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:44:19 -0400
Hi all,

I just read the thread on the shallow brood chambers and I know that many
are now using the three medium (Illinios) brood chambers, but I saw the
other day a rather peculiar site and wanted to see what the list's opinion
is.  I visited another bee yard and saw a 3 deep hive bodies for brood
chambers.  The peculiar part was they only had two medium supers on them,
which were quite full and capped.  I would assume that the top brood
chamber was nearly completely full of honey also, although we didn't look.

Has anyone else used three deep hive bodies for brood?  Does it have any
merit?  Can a queen fill all three deep hive bodies before she would have
had room back in the one that she started in?  Assuming, probably wrongly,
that she could and the hive would thus be that much bigger and, presumably,
collect more nectar, I would hate to think of how tall the hive could grow
with the needed supers on it.  I guess you would have to extract in stages,
but I am now a believer in George Imirie's advice about adding all supers
at once.  Any opinions or experience with this method of brood chambers?

Thanks,

Brad