From:
al picketts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:48:18 -0300
Garrett
Black Forrest honey, green honey, pine honey and honeydew honey are all the
same honey. The bees gather the excrement from aphids feeding on plant
juices on the tender growth of the pine trees. This plant juice is very low
in protein and high in sugars so the aphid must pass a lot of juice through
it's body to get enough protein and expells the excess sugars. Honeydew has
a rather unique and (many people believe) pleasant flavor but it isn't a
true honey in the purest sense. That is to say it is not made by bees from
flower nectar. I do recommend everyone try to get a taste of honeydew. I was
always told it looks and tastes like 40 weight motor oil..... it doesn't.
Al Picketts
Kensington, PEI, Canada
A long way from any pine forrests or honeydew.