From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 06:23:02 -0600
Hello John & All,
 John Edwards wrote:
 BTW, contrary to some theories, I was NOT in California with a bucket of
 beetles.  The decrease in state bee inspectors nationwide has not been
 helpful to stopping movements like this.
John you asked for discussion so trying to help out.
State inspectors might help with finding the problem but they are not going
to stop the beetle.  Having been to Florida and saw the situation first hand
I feel qualified to speak.  Finding a couple of  beetles on a semi load of
hives is worse than finding a needle in a hay stack because the needle stays
in the same place.  I predict areas in which pollination is taking place
using hives from areas of infestation have already got the beetle but
beekeepers have not lost hives yet so show little concern.   By the time
they notice the problem will be serious.   Having looked at the problem from
the start I see no permanent solution for the SHB.   I see several IPM
measures.   The honey house trap I am working on might  solve the* honey
house * problems.  Maybe not but a important area (in my opinion) to look
at. The SHB beetle has leveled out in the south and beekeepers are learning
to live with the Small Hive Beetle.
Commercial beekeeping is becoming harder and harder due to the various
plagues of the last two decades. Mainly because of the amount of time
required to test, treat  and check hives.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri