From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 14:18:00 -0400
Peter said: "Look, if I thought it would work, I would be the first and
 foremost practitioner of "organic" beekeeping."

The fact that you put "Organic" in quotes is revealing.  To me it is an
indication of:  a) your understanding that "Organic" is not strictly
defined as it relates to beekeeping and b) a certain degree of indignant
skepticism, if not contempt, on your part toward the whole idea.

   I don't think all so called Organic beekeepers are as self righteous and
dogmatic as you seem to indicate in your posts.  I for one, although not
labeling myself as Organic, simply see value in working to find solutions
that involve less not more dependence on chemicals.

   I don't blame large scale commercial beekeepers for all the problems I
am having keeping my bees alive.  However, I do think that in as much as
those operations are encountering difficulties, it would be prudent for
them to examine how their practices might be a source of those
difficulties.  And I am sure that they are.  I also think that solutions
may very well result from asking "How can we accomplish what we want to do
in a different, perhaps more natural and/or unobtrusive way?".  It is not
unreasonable to hypothesize that some pressures on the bees might be
alleviated using some form of this approach.

   If it is true that you would love to keep bees organically, what ever
that means to you, then instead of asking someone else to prove to you that
it can be done under your exact circumstances, make it your goal to prove
to yourself that it can be done.  Otherwise I think what is likely to
happen is that you will spend a lot of your energy trying to prove that it
can't be done, which of course is a waste of time.

Steve NOble