Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 12:48:06 EST
Re:  Why do we need a test for AHB, when its easy to spot a mean  colony.

From the meetings of the Apicultural inspectors that I've sat in on, those
states with highly urbanized beekeeping (lots of hobby/backyard beekeepers)
-  there's a problem.

Do you destroy every hot tempered bee colony, not knowing whether its AHB,
rather than just an agitated EHB colony from rough handling,  harvesting
honey, moving the hive, pesticide exposure (some pesticides make bees  very
testy), etc. OR

Do you allow bees, even mean bees, if they are truly EHB?

Here's the conundrum:

If you assume a testy colony = AHB,

and you have a policy calling for the destruction any mean  colony, the
beekeeper's are going to be really upset - will ask, what is  the criterion?
How do you know my bees are AHB?  I think they're  fine, you have no reason
to destroy my bees.  Who's going to pay me  for my lost bees?

If you assume all colonies = EHB, unless shown otherwise,

and someone gets badly stung or maybe dies, then you're open for lawsuits -
 you failed to protect my health or that of a family member.

Essentially, a no win situation, without some 'proof' that the bees are or
are not AHB.

Jerry