From:
Hervé Logé <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:45:05 +0100
> There are many people who think GM food should be
> labeled as such, and I agree.  But the "protest"
> against GM food [...] is all from people who
> are far too well-fed to understand just how critical
> the actual situation is.
>
> People are starving right now.
> Think about it.

It seems to me this argument to support GM food is a
sophism. We already produce more food than we can eat,
as you wrote. Producers try to manage their stocks in
order to maintain prices (pork, milk, butter, wheat,
and so on). The problem is not the quantity of food
produced but its cost and access for starving people.
The fact that occidental farmers are more efficient
when using GM food won't help them so much. Have GM
food helped starving people until now ? Why do Indian
(from India I mean) farmers protest so much against GM
plants if they were so helped by GM foods ? They even
created committees and delegations that travelled in
many European countries to express their opposition.

If you assist a conference given by local african
people, for example, involved in ONG (non governmental
carritativ organisations) they are complaining about
developped countries getting rid of their stocks times
to times simultaneously with local crops and
earthquacking local prices (particulary with wheat) so
that local farmers can not develop their own
agriculture.

I wil be conviced that GM food will help starving
people when they would thank Mosento and erect a
sculpture dedicated to its CEO.

Please forgive my frankness in my post. My english is
not good enough to be a subtile diplomate.

Hervé