From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:18:16 -0500
Hello Ed & All,
Ed said:
 Perhaps someday we will spray a solution into our hives that contains a
bacteria/virus that kills varroa but is harmless to bees. I know this idea
has been raised at least once on this list, does anyone know of research
that points to a solution here?

Actually the research going on in the U.K. by Dr. Norman Carrick is that A.
mellifera can survive and control varroa if we can find a way to control the
viruses. Norman has had a certain amount of success but also a few failures
and was the last time we talked trying to figure why the failures. Perhaps
Norman will comment as  new progress may have been made.

Varroa is hard to study because without a host varroa lives a very short
time.  For this reason I know of no study on parasites/bacteria for varroa
control. Fungi is being looked at as a varroa control but have not heard an
update lately. Maybe my post will bring an update to the list!

Ed said:
Mites have seen a huge population explosion it seems that nature would find
a way to paratisize the parasites.

True! But varroa has only been a parasite of the honeybee for a very short
time.

Arachanids from what I understand have very few parasites other than other
arachanids!

If one thinks the death of the drone is cruel how about the death of the
male Black Widow spider( after mating of course!)!

Ed said:
 So, in a paradoxical way, I hope that people could raise varroa (to isolate
and raise what kills varroa in nature).

Varroa seems to suffer from two main  problems which effect varroa survival.

1. lack of a host (max life span I have been told is 7 days)

2. lack of cells to reproduce in.

Systemic is the method of control I prefer but so far nothing new!

Ed said:
We do need a new perspective-it seems to me that the two camps
(chemical/non-chemical) which have provided so much interesting thought
lately on varroa are both trying to defend the positive aspects of their
positions but can't escape the respective (and quite real) negatives to each
side.

The main reson I responded to Ed's post was to comment here. I believe there
is only one camp instead of two as Ed suggested.

I NEVER MET A BEEKEEPER WHICH THOUGHT PUTTING A CHEMICAL IN A BEEHIVE WAS A
GOOD IDEA OR WITHOUT RISK!  Never! Not One!

In other words all beekeepers are wanting the same thing which is enough
bees to survive varroa until we work out a non chemical permanant solution.

Fact is the organic grower can not feed the world and the hobby beekeeper
can not pollinate the crops to save our Almond, Blueberry, cranberry Apple
and a hundred or so other industries in the U.S.from ruin from lack of
pollination.

Chemicals have became a neccessary evil in many instances!

Certainly not the best solution to the worlds food production and varroa
problems!

Bob