From:
michael palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 09:32:12 -0400
LLOYDSPEAR wrote:

> First, and probably of least importance, the 'chute' sold by Dadant is
> probably as useful as 'tits on a chicken'.

    Thanks for this post on using blowers. Wanted to say something too, but I've
been too tired. Huge crop this year. I'm using a blower about every day. I too
chucked my Dadant chute years ago. I found that an outer cover, right side up,
on the ground, 6" - 12"  in front of the hive,  works best for me. I stand the
super on end upon the cover. The super can be spun around without lifting it
each time. This allows you to change the direction you are blowing the bees (top
or bottom). If the bees are clinging to the combs, it is very difficult to blow
them out. Once you get them running, they blow out easily. The bees come out
right in front of the entrance, and don't get lost in the grass.
    In cold weather (in the 40's), I do it slightly differently. I turn the
cover upside down, and place an inner cover on each side, leaning against the
hive. The cover fits under the bottom board. I blow the bees into the cover.
Since they aren't in the grass, they don't get cold, and are able to climb up
into the hive. The inner covers prevent the bees from being blown all over the
place. Instead they fall onto the upturned outer cover.

                                    Mike