From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 1996 10:57:29 -0800
 Hi, I enjoy reading some of the things that happen to us when we start
Beekeeping.All of us start on page one.As we observe our bees, we start
out with a problem.We try to relate what we see to our human perception
of reality.We read books and watch the bees.After awhile we come to
realize that the honeybee knows what to do and when. We then are getting
into there world when we open up the hive. I was told by someone , that I
should not open the hive very much , because you would upset the bees.
How can you learn without looking? Let me tell you I did a lot of
looking. I learned to handle the frames with care and move slowly.Now and
then I would squash a bee and notice that other bees would react to the
squashed bee. The sting pheromone would be released from the squashed bee
and that would set off the alarm.
 My observations of how much smoke to use , is as little as possible. Now
when I go to one of my bee yards with 30 to 60 hives , I may smoke one
pretty good now and then if they need it or I need to change a queen.When
your calm yourself it helps. They know if your tense.
  My first big discovery with my bees.There was a nursery with a lot of
heather 2 miles away from my home.I lived right on the water on Hood
Canel , so the bees had to go up or down the beach to get pollen or
nectar. I love to garden so I was always stopping at the nursrey and the
lady that run the nursrey knew my Mother from high school.One day I saw
honey bees all over the heather and I thought they may be my honeybees. I
went home and got some wheat flower and headed back to the nursery.
Margret thought I was crazy when I started to sprinkle flower on the
bees. I drove home and sat by my hives to see if any would have flower on
them. You would think that I found the Mother Load when I started to see
my bees with the flower on them returning to my hives. Margret is 83 now
and she still remembers that day that I found my bees at the nursery.
 Beekeeping is wonderful. Full of Wonder. There is no end , but there is
a begining. Ask questions  and always be open to change.I have a
beekeeper friend who has 100 hives and a son. He wanted me to take his
Son through the bees and see how I do it. I can give his son all that he
needs with a long walk out in nature. The book will give you some
information , but your understanding of nature will give you
wisdom.Honeybees are very complex to say the least.You don't need to
study genetics to enjoy and learn about your bees.Our researchers are
very dedicated into learning more about the honeybee.We all need there
help and they need beekeepers to get support for there work. We need
positive press. Giving talks on bees and giving a little honey out
helps.Enjoy and try to understand what you see in the hive and tell others.
 Best Regards
 Roy