From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:10:54 -0500
Dee Lusby wrote:

>Mike:
>Have newer publications repudiated the statements of the
>previous books and/or previous editions?
>
>Reply:
>Not that I know of, if you find any let me know.

Comment:
One of my heroes was A. I. Root. I have many editions of his "ABC & XYZ of
Beekeeping". His goal was to provide the best information possible, and even
once he had done that, he invited other people to read and correct it.

In the back of his early books are long sections by other authors, notably
C. C. Miller and G. M. Doolittle. In this sections, they comment on specific
pages where the information is wrong or incomplete.

Root took to continually revising his books in order to have them contain
the best information available. These later editions combined the work of
many researchers and never relied on the ideas and opinions of one person.

Later, the Root Company handed the job of editor to Roger Morse, who
completely revised the book, calling on many of the best minds working in
the field.

The new books do not repudiate the older ones? That is precisely what they
do, why they are written and what they are for. That is the primary goal of
the advancement of knowledge on any subject, to replace the good with the
better.

pb