From:
Ted Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:58:53 -0500
The lesson I was trying to draw from the collapse of the cod fishery was
that leading industry players insisted they were right and theirs was the
only opinion that mattered. As it turned out they were wrong on both
points.

I think this is a clear situation where the market system failed. If
government had stepped in and regulated things properly, there would still
be a cod fishery today. Letting the industry implode because certain
individuals were philosophically opposed to government intervention
doesn't seem very bright to me.

Fortunately we are dealing with insects not fish. Insects are a lot
tougher than fish and I doubt we can kill them off despite our best
efforts.

I think Adony has raised some very important points on determining
sustainablity. I would like to see more research in this area.

Leaving that aside for the moment, I will risk Alan's wrath by playing
Nostrodamos yet again. I think it is fair to say that migratory beekeeping
increases stress on bees and exposes them to increased invasion by pests
and diseases. To combat this, the beekeeper has to use more drugs more
often. Sooner or later this is going to result in contaminated honey. If
we ever lose the healthy reputation our product has in the public mind we
will have nothing but pollination to live on. Therefore I think it is
prudent to discuss how this might be avoided.

I thought Peter Dillion made some good observations about our industry. I
hate this border debate because for years now it has diverted all energy
and attention away from equally important issues. It may be that Canadian
beekeepers decide the benefits of an open border outweigh the risks. But I
think it is the beekeepers who should decide, not the almond producers
in....where is California, anyway?

BTW Alan, there are no ancestral homes in Dog Creek. Ancestral dogs, but
no houses.

Ted