Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:50:54 -0400
Just thought I'd share a newbie moment I had recently.

I found I had a few extra minutes mid-day last week, so decided to put escape boards on the last two hives I had not yet harvested.  I thought about putting all of my gear on, but decided just my pullover w/veil and gloves would be fine - I left my worn out blue jeans on, rather than taking an extra minute to change into my white pants.  I pulled a couple of mediums off, placed the escape board on, and noticed a bee stinging me on the thigh.  I pulled the stinger out, and smoked the area, reaching for a super, and noticed another bee in exactly the same spot.  I repeated the process, and picked up the super.  By now there were several other bees on this obviously marked spot, all stinging me in good shape.  I managed to gently fend off the offenders, and put the other super in place.  I switched to the other hive next to it, and noticed more volunteers stinging me on the other leg.  I managed to get the escape board on, and the supers on, and noticed a tickling sensation in the groin area...

Did I mention that these old jeans were a tad on the short side?  By the time I walked five feet toward the house, I felt that sensation that I hoped I would not feel.  Fortunately, ms. bee hadn't quite made it to the nether regions, so I was fortunate that she only stung me on the inner thigh.  In all, I guess I got stung about 8-10 times.  Legs were a bit stiff the next day, and I hobbled a bit...

I think in the future, I'll stick with my white painter's pants.

Todd.