From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:22:34 -0500
I have just had a phone conversation with someone who attended Dr.
Hoffman's talk in California. The info that I got was that there may be a
misunderstanding. It may not be that the African bee in US has capensis
genes, but that that they exhibit similar traits. This ability of workers
to raise queens from worker eggs is not restricted to capensis at all but
has been observed even in European bees, and other insects. Probably the
discovery of this trait is due to the intense scrutiny that the bees have
been subjected to here in the US. Further, it came up in our conversation
that this trait could probably be developed in any line of bees, if that
were desired.

Additional background info:

>Nest Defense Behavior in Colonies from Crosses Between Africanized and
>European Honey Bees
>Gloria DeGrandi-Hoffman, Anita Collins, Joseph H. Martin, Justin 0.
>Schmidt, and Hayward G. Spangler

excerpts:

http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/publ/defense.html