From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 2009 09:09:13 -0700
Great comments from Bob and Allen!

I face a similar situation situation before our first main flow.  However,
as with Bob, our bees have already been to almonds, split at least once, and
have made some honey.

As Bob says, any lagging colony is a waste of equipment and space, so we
either combine, or nuc them up.

The engine of any colony is the queen, but she needs the machinery of a good
cluster of workers, and the fuel of honey/nectar and pollen to work to her
potential.

We can address the fuel issue by moving the hives or feeding.

A sufficient cluster, and room to lay are easy to verify.

If the above are adequate, but the colony still isn't taking off, then we
blame the queen, thank her for her efforts, and let another have a chance at
her job.

Randy Oliver