From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 2009 07:28:07 -0700
--- On Sun, 6/21/09, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I do not know about your area but despite what some might
> tell you Black
> Locust flow is not always dependable.

Hi Bob,

I know what you mean, I think locust surplus is highly dependant on good weather.  Generally, I will get some black locust and some years none.  But you have to be ready for the occasional good year like this year when the crop can more than double.

> By the third week of May I would look for other issues but
> I know the "live
> and let die" crowd hates to hear what I say. One reason
> those beekeepers
> hate to let me go through their hives.

I’m not really a live and let die guy.
There is no ‘let’ in my selective process.  ‘Let’ is a gift, and here, let is replaced by ‘earn’.  Colonies either earn the right to live, or are culled long before the ‘let die’ happens.  As far as going through my hives, nothing to hate there.  Unlike some, I want to hear criticism when a hive is opened, I want to hear what is lacking and can be improved.  If I spot something you missed or fail to mention, then your busted!  I generally obtain queen permit for PA each season even though I rarely sell a queen so that the requirement that Dennis Van,,, inspect my colonies be fulfilled so I can hear his opinion,, -and Dennis don’t miss nothing.

> Ask yourself Joe if natural floral sources were not enough
> then why did the
> other 50% reach proper strength?

Well, the nectar / pollen dearth from the last 2 or 3 seasons (you know, what some were calling CCD), caused weak colonies going into winter last season.  Swarms and smaller colonies were the hardest hit, and these are the ones that failed to ramp up in the spring, most of the production colonies did fine. So it seemed to be a matter of strength going into winter as the cause, which suggests weather related causes.

> I am not being hard on you Joe but your questions are right
> up a commercial
> beekeepers alley. I would after the above ( 50% no surplus)
> requeen all the
> hives which did not provide a surplus( or at least check
> for disease or mite
> issues)

Your not being hard on me, that’s what I’m here for is honest opinions.  As far as mites, not sure what the reason, but they are a non issue in my colonies and in ferals I have been catching in my area.  I haven’t noticed a mite yet this season or last. My bees perhaps are heavy weighted in the survival traits, and I do feel that I could use some genetics in the traits on the side economic value.  But as my strategy has been, to establish traits of survival first, and then move to traits of economic value, because in a treatment free system, you MUST establish in that order.

Best Wishes,
Joe