Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2019 13:23:35 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
25" of snow out there today so lot of time for helpful hints. First one, head south for the winter :-)

When doing "deep" hive inspection, early spring, any sign of trouble, splits etc. I keep a cage made of a cylinder of 1/8" mesh and about 3/4" round by 3" long with a cork stopper in my pocket to safely keep her highness at hand and out of harms way. Often I find her on the first couple of frames and by putting the cage in front of her and a little tap on the behind she walks right in. No need to pinch or pick her up. Put her in your pocket and the rest of the inspection is much easier and quicker. If you see her on the first frame and find a problem that makes you want to requeen on the forth you'll find that she is not on the first anymore and can be anywhere. When done just dump her out on the top bars or keep her as the situation dictates.. I have never to my knowledge harmed a queen this way. 

I really like the frame perch that hangs on the side of the box. No putting the first frames on the ground. Holds up to 3 frames. Saves bending, lost bees crawling up your pants leg. As noted elsewhere keep a empty deep or 2 as a bench for setting boxes. Much less back strain lifting. 

Use 9 frame spacers in your  honey supers (not brood boxes). I do a winter inspection of all honey supers to check for damage, warp, bridge comb etc. I scrape the top and bottom bars, repair any damage or cull bracken stuff. Takes a couple of minutes per box. I only have about 300 supers so it is doable and makes next summers extraction a pleasure. Straight full clean frames uncap and extract so much better. I also use excluders for white brood free combs. Clogged up excluders come home and go in the solar melter for a few hours, good as new. I can hear the howls of protest from here.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA 

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2