From:
Midnitebee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 08:47:07 -0400
Greetings!
well..let me say this about that..since I live in Maine and the summer is
VERY short and winters loooong..,
The carnies winter very well with a small cluster,doing into winter. I have
been fortunate ,so far,these carniolan (queens) lay a fabulous brood
pattern,with small amount of drone cells.
The carniolans seem to be active at an earlier time in the so called
spring(Maine)..I have seen these bees try to collect pollen as early as 5
am.(.in the rain )and the temps were in the very chilly 30"s.
Their temperament is mild and their build very little propolis or bur comb.
I will be splitting a few hives,and use carniolan queens.
My favorite honeybee is the midnites..they have not failed me ,yet. I have
two midnite hives that have superceded (third generation)and with all this
talk about supercedure 'temperament"..well, I have not witnessed it.
Herb
THEY ARE DARK GREY/ BLACK
>LOOKING BEES.  IAM THINKING OF THE THE NEW WORLD CARNOLIANS . GOT ANY
ideas?
Buckfast?

Holly-B Apiary
P.O.Box 26