From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:49:44 -0500
> A. m. iberiensis in southern Spain carries African mtDNA.
> What are the characteristics of this strain of bee?  Would it interbreed
with the AHB strains that are migrating into the U.S.?  What would the
effects be on the behavior of such interbreeding?  Do we dare import more
strains into the U.S. in an effort to mitigate the effects of the AHB?

* It is currently illegal to import bees from outside the USA, due to the
fact that there are still more honey bee pests that *you do not want*. As
far as the effects of interbreeding between the African strain that is
invading and any local stocks: Local bees don't stand a chance, due to the
many issues described in the various studies.

* The only defense, in my opinion, is good beekeeping. Requeen with marked
queens of non-African stock, kill mean hives, & kill feral hives. Wild bees
in the woods have always been a reservoir for disease, and now they are a
potential reservoir for African genes. It all depends on the diligence of
the beekeeper.

* Beekeepers that are good about requeening will stay on top of it. Those
that routinely allow supersedure will have a harder time maintaining a
specific type of bee. I am not saying anything negative about supersedure
per se, nor about developing local stock in that way. It's just that if you
have Africans in your area, *they* are the local stock, and you become part
of that.

* By the way, iberiensis is not the one you would want. The best strains of
honey bees were identified years ago, carnica being at the top of most
lists. All these bees were brought to the US before the import ban. We have
good stocks available in this country, even if they are not really the same
as the original European stock. (B. Weaver has taken to calling one of their
lines "All-American")

pb