From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:48:35 -0400
I took the question concerning double screens to be "is a double screen
really necessary, or will a single screen work just as well?"

Long ago I read that the need for a double screen barrier was a classic
example of a hand-me-down statement lacking a single piece of logic or
demonstrated need.  Accordingly, I have tried a single screen in a number of
situations that "classically" call for a double screen.  These situations
include overwintering a colony on top of another and running a vertical
two-queen colony.

In both cases I was successful and did not notice any fighting or upset
between the colonies.

In a similar vein, it is most often recommended that colonies be combined
with a newspaper barrier between; the logic being that the newspaper
prevents the "shock" of adding a new population and lets the bees gradually
mingle.  After noticing that a double layer of newspaper will completely
disappear from 8:00 PM one evening to 7:00 AM the next morning, I read that
successful combination will also result without a newspaper barrier.  I next
tried it...with complete success.

Peter and Bill have recently commented on the supposed intolerance shown
toward researchers, particularly when compared to gifted amateurs.  As one
who is neither, I will only express the view that whatever intolerance has
been shown is not toward researchers as a class, but instead is directed at
a perceived level of arrogance...as if being a "researcher" entitles ones
opinions to be treated with greater (or god-like) respect.  I believe the
proof of this is shown by the fact that some researchers on the list are
widely respected...and others much less so.

Lloyd
Mailto:[log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.