From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 14:28:54 -0400
> The article is at
> www.nytimes.com/2002/05/07science/life/07BEE.html
> Perhaps someone can tell me how to access the Science article.  Mea

Little appreciated in cyberspace is that copyright laws still apply.  The NY
Times owns the article.  Last I checked, NY Times offers today's articles
for free, thereafter one must pay to read.  Full instructions can be found
somewhere on the NY Times site.  I once quoted a NYT article in a newsletter
that went to press before I received written permission from the NYT to do
so.  I was sure they would grant permission, as I've never been denied when
I request (something I always do).  I was surprised though, when permission
was contingent on paying $100 for the rights.  At that point my options were
to pay the bill or scrap the newsletters.  I paid the bill.

Most publications I have quoted grant rights freely, happy to receive credit
for their article in my newsletter.  NYT on the other hand doesn't need the
publicity and would rather have the $$$.

Aaron Morris - thinking copyrights are copyrights!