From:
Komppa-Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:51:18 +0200
Eu rules for organic exclude effectivily possible contaminat sources. Motorways, industrial areas, cities, waste dumps etc. are excluded from 2 mile radius. But Phil was not right stating that the area must be natural forest  or organic farmed area. It can also be normal farmland that is farmed according to special rules (EU rule 2078/92). These rules limit the amout of fertilizers and chemical plant protection in fields.

In Finland this makes a big difference as most of the farmland is farmed according to this rule. The farmers get subsidy money for this nature saving farming practice, and in this country most are willing to do it.

This ruling made organic beekeeping a viable possibility for me too. I have not used it before but now I am considering to change for organic production.. I have read comments from USA that the local honey is selling as good as organic. It's about the same here when selling directly to customers. But I sell more honey through the shops and I can not meet most of my customers. In shop the organic label could be worth the expense. Expence is by the way mostly from the demand that winter food must be organisc honey or organic sugar. The organic sugar is about 30% more expensive than normal sugar.  Organic honey is about 20 % more expensive in the shops. But the price differense has been going down, just like in comments from organic prices in USA.

Ari Seppälä
Finland