From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:12:04 -0800
Hi to all on BEE-L

Robert Brenchley wrote:
    I assume that Tunisian bees would be A.m. intermissa.
If
thelytoky and
multiple queens are found in bees from both ends of Africa,
that
suggests
that these characteristics are probably more widespread
than commonly
realised. What I haven't seen is incontrovertible evidence
of
thelytoky in
native European bees, though it may be out there somewhere

Reply:
Robert, Benton brought the Tunisans bees into the area of
the Northeastern United States.

As for thelytoky in native European bees, Mackensen showed
that european bees in the United States of 3-banded Italian
showed about 9% thelytoky and Caucasian showed about 23%
thelytoky. We know that we showed about 57% with our small
black bees in the late 1980s when looked at and tested.
Also at that time Dr Koeniger said our bees by
morphametrics were a caucasian/carnolian mix bee with
limited Italian. Interestingly caucasian/carnolian mix is
similar to primosky bees (russian) now isn't it?

Also to add Robert. If Tunisian bees and caucasian bees at
the north end of Africa show the trait and the cape bees at
the southern end of Africa show the trait, then what are
the odds for Monticola in the middle of Africa also showing
the trait if looked for? and has it been looked for in them
also?

Just thinking!

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby