From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:13:31 -0500
Todd asked:
Any other data or observations?

Missouri was given the section 18  for Api Life Var ( ALV) on Aug. 28. I
received my ALV today.

I am running a rather large test of ALV myself .

I wanted to try  the ALV now while I have still got a 98% control to test
with after treatment and not interested in waiting to next fall to test ALV.
I want to know if ALV will work for me by Turkey day!

Also I am afraid those wanting to use ALV in the spring will find they will
not have enough time to follow label before your honey crop in the Midwest
as the shortest treatment time is 27 days  and 33 days is recommended:
1st. -7 days (to 10 days)
2nd. -7 days(to 10 days)
3rd -12 days.
remove ALV.

Then you need to wait *150 *  days (at least 5 months) before putting on
honey supers to prevent honey contamination.

Basically in our area ALV will need to be used in late summer / fall.

The ALV instructions say to make a 8 mesh envelope for each piece of ALV put
in the hive which could be up to four envelopes needed for each hive.

Are the 8 mesh envelopes really needed ? Would window screen work? Any
comments from across the pond?

If so I guess I can make up around 500 8 mesh envelopes while watching the
Chiefs beat the Chargers Sunday.

From my ALV  section 18 directions:

Use of ALV is most effective when less sealed brood is present

Do not use ALV at temperatures above 90 F.

Bob's comment:
Last year we had many days over a 100F. in Sept. The directions do not say
what kind of problem happens when the temp climbs to over 90F. while ALV
treatment is going on.( I suspect dead brood).

Use of ALV at average daily temperatures below 54 F. may result in less
control of varroa.

The above is what I know so far about ALV Todd.

Bob

Ps. Tucson Bee Lab is testing a new varroa product . I was asked to help
with the testing but the researchers would not even tell me what I was
testing but they did say the compound was not thymol.

I respect the Tucson researchers but I do not handle or put in my hives a
chemical without a certain amount of information so I declined the project.