Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:27:57 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
> I go pretty easy on you Peter when you do posts on subjects of which you have no direct experience such as trucking bees or almond pollination. Your future nosema ceranae article on a subject you have very little or no direct experience.

How do you know what experiences I have had? I have said repeatedly that I worked in migratory beekeeping in California for many years, and took bees to almonds back in the 80s. It isn't rocket science. I recently conducted a workshop in NY state on nosema where we demonstrated how to sample colonies for spore count. 

I am also adept at PCR so I could easily distinguish N. ceranae from N. apis, given the funds. But apparently N. apis is almost nonexistent in NYS and elsewhere, so it would be a pointless exercise. Further, most beekeepers I know do NOT want to use potent antimicrobials like fumagillin or albendazole. No doubt they throw everything in the book at it in China. 

No one doubts your experience, Bob. But you seem hell bent on dismissing researchers and inspectors as a bunch of white collar know nothings. There are a lot of bee scientists who learned the ropes the hard way. Yes, I do know how to tie down a load of bees. That's a moot point, as well, since rope tying is all but replaced by ratchet straps.

What difference does it make where I got the information I have, if it's correct? I got the same petty response when I posted on Bee Source. Who are you, they said. WHat do you know? You think you're Michael Bush? I have contributed to Bee-L for over ten years, and during that time I have stayed constantly in contact with the bee industry. 

I will say this: I have never come on this list and stated that I have some knowledge but I am not willing to share it. If I know something, I pass it on. If you have secrets, keep your mouth shut about it. It's true that now I only have a few hives, but I honestly don't have time for more. Do you think that if a guy sells off his hives, his knowledge turns to spit?

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2