From:
Dave Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 00:29:28 -0400
Some furthur thoughts:
If you wish to call STR something like 'wooden legs'
(or clumsy grooming) I will not be offended

Perhaps I was over optomistic
>and it fades away in 2-4 wks,
and should say 4-8 wks, depending ...

Another symptom (of X ??) is excessive
emergent mortality (~5% ??)
At age 0, cell uncaped, head out, dead in cell
In a strong hive you will not see this,
the corpses will be carried away.
These corpses seem light. 1.49 grains, .097 gm (10)

And, of course, varoa could be a vector for X
These nucs (showing strongly) had no OA(v) last year
I didn't expect such large loss, wanted to see
which nuc handled varoa best.

and more thought later

I must have caught an infection peak
(how can there be a peak in this type of infection?)
Anyway now is much less STR and none with young
Its not hard to find though, with a short search
As the legs regain flexability the bee can groom top
of abdomen but it still is a 'tipsy' movement
(and now they mostly groom the top, when they do the bottom
legs are more flexable & appears more effective)
it stops < 10 STR, few ankle rubs, legs are not stiff

And more
I can kick myself for being unobservant
Looking at one of the nucs -- what a lot of eggs(not really, 2/3 frame)
but hey where's the larvae?  None to be seen
Next nuc same, etc, etc in all nucs no/very few larvae (<10)
(I actually didn't see any but could have been hiding behind bees)
If this persists it would well explain dwindling
I'm now rather pessimistic
Prevelant (ie in your face) STR lasts about 5-7d,
emergent (young bee) STR lasts 2d,
I can't imagine why it disapears so quick

I think ccd came with NZ queen spr06
no slur on NZ, X is probably widespread
Its 80-90% my fault for not controlling TM
excuse my sp please

dave