From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:20:12 +0100
Hi all

> Jay Smith wrote:
>
> In using the grafting method the larvae are left in the worker cells for
> two days where they are sparingly fed, for the bees are making workers of
> them. If much younger larvae are used they will perish, for they cannot
 > stand such rough treatment.

If you leave it two days, you will lose out on quality, but the
statement about damaging young larvae is only true if you are 'ham
fisted', OK not all of us have steady and delicate hands, but handling
larvae on a grafting tool is not a particularly skilful job, I reckon a
great deal of the problems that people perceive about grafting, is the
ability to see the larvae distinctly, which is a factor mentioned by
many. Human eyesight, properly corrected with spectacles if needed, is
quite capable of seeing the larvae in enough sharp detail to do the job,
so if you can't see eggs and larvae, you need to visit the optician or
ensure that your optician is giving you 'full' correction.

I also think that the headband magnifiers that some people use, make the
problem worse by causing distortion of vision and exaggeration of movement.

I agree with Peter that priming cells with royal jelly is not worth the
effort, in fact, I reckon it could confuse the workers into feeding
royal jelly of a formula that is inconsistent with the age of the larva.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)