From:
Robin Dartington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:39:32 +0100
"Please join
the debate with your own observations or theories."

 A few of my c20 colonies died but more were very weak in spring.  All had
several frames of food left - but it was solid.  I believe my problem is
simply that the warmer climate resulted in bees collecting late honey from
new sources, particularly ivy which sets like concrete - it probably meant
that colonies dwindled in spring from heavy loss of water carriers. Was the
honey left in European dead colonies solid?  Was it in any way unusual in
regard to the major plants from which it was collected, perhaps as a
consequence of climate change? I will feed sugar syrup myself in late
September this year to fill the brood chamber, then return supers to collect
and remove the ivy flow in October, if it reappears. (Ivy honey is not the
best to eat, a bit strong, but passible.  The combs have to be melted and it
can reset much too hard.  It seems is better to blend in a little bland
honey, to make the reset honey a bit softer and a bit less strong).

Apart from environmental poisoning by man (so very possible), might not
another  wholly theoetical cause of the reported widespread poor wintering
be a new virus, perhaps a mutation of an existing. Am I right in thinking
viruses can mutate very easily, such as the common flu virus affecting
humans?   The effect of viruses is to debilitate, is it not?  Has research
been started - possibly difficult as the worst affected colonies are dead.

Robin Dartington