From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 17:02:22 -0400
Hi Peter:

>Regarding E.F.B., it is my understanding that "scales" that stick to the
>wax are not produced.
>
>The larvae die from being starvation.

I don't know if scale is the proper word.  The larvae are twisted and show
striations. The bees can remove them when they are still soft but I have a
lot of hives with very poor hygienic behaviour.  The EFB is often present in
addition to chalkbrood and once the hive gets weak enough they cannot clean
out all the dead larvae. They dry down to a hard "scale?" that is twisted
and still shows the striations.  It is different than AFB scale in that it
is along the midrib (the foundation wall) instead of on the lower cell wall,
but it is still a dried diseased larvae on the bottom of the cell and the
bees are not cleaning them out and they are stuck quite firmly once they dry up.

Regards,
Stan