From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 15:36:40 -0600
> 4) Lack of hygiene on the part of the beekeeper in how he/she handles swarms
> of unknown origin. I installed two such swarms this season, a week after
> removing my Apistan strips from the other hives. With disoriented bees
> wandering every which way into other hives, I vowed to change my hiving
> procedure in the future so that all such swarms are introduced (quarantined)
> in one designated apiary...

One measure that should reduce varroa threat from such swarms is to hive them
with Apistan, then keep them in a *completely* dark cool place like a garage or
basement room for several days.  Any frame of brood given to hold them should be
very young, or eggs only, so varroa has no place to hide while the Apistan is
doing its job.

In a newly hived swarm there is no sealed brood for at least a week unless they
are given brood, so all mites are exposed to Apistan and virtually all mites
should be eliminated by the end of several days -- assuming they are indeed
susceptible to fluvalinate-tau.  After three to five days, the bees can be
situated any appropriate place outdoors and the strips can be removed -- or left
in according to circumstance.

Assuming also that the bees are contained from the time of pick-up to the time
of release after treatment, the chance of spreading varroa to other hives is
nil.  Moreover the swarm cannot abscond if it is in a hive in a completely dark
place.  By the time it is taken outdoors -- preferably as darkness falls, it
will have settled down and the queen will be laying well -- unless she is a
virgin, in which case, she can then fly to mate.

allen
--
Diary and pictures at http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/
Cell size, worker bee size, package installation & performance, winter loss,