From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 12:00:46 -0700
> Classic is the contention that Wonder Bread has a high glycemic index
> while whole wheat does not. The difference is WW  is 7 and WB is 10, both
> of which are low compared to most foods.

Gee, I don't know what sources you are using.  In all the material I've
read, white bread is the same as white sugar, and whole wheat bread is not
much better.  There are a few breads that are low glycemic, but the only way
for sure the effect on yourself, is to measure your own blood glucose at
half-hour intervals after consuming a specific amount.  There are many, many
foods that rate lower than bread as a class.  Breads and pasteries generally
are right up there with sugar.  Some people can eat that stuff al their
lives and stay skinny, but many people start gaining and soon develop
varying degrees insulin resistance, syndrom X, and pre-diabetes that go
undetected until it progresses into overt diabetes, since health screening
is based on "normals" and "normal" in North America IS slightly
insulin-resistant and a bit chubby.

>> The epidemic of obesity and diabetes is here, and the culprits are right
>> under our noses, except we are not allowed to see them.  The Internet is
>> changing that.

> Actually, the problem is being addressed. It is the culprit that has only
> recently been found in research, since that does take time. It all deals
> with human metabolism and fructose vs. sucrose. We handle the white death
> (sugar not white bread) as a sugar but HFCS more like a fat.

Hadn't heard that.  References?

> That was not clearly understood until recently when the obesity problem
> became more apparent. Before it was all on amounts of snack food, then
> colas but it was always metabolism.

I thought that it was a number of factors all combined: higher amounts of
sugars of all types in the diet, more highly gelatinized starches, more
trans-fats, and more food at a serving, combined with less exercise and more
stress.  Add to that the fact that kids now drink juices and sodas (little
difference, really) all the time, and that food is dirt cheap.

With increased high-powered advertsing, and many more convenience foods
penetrating the market.  Have you ever looked at the ingredient list and
nutrient profiles of these imitation foods?  They have little resemblance to
the foods they are supposed to be, and the shelf life of a stone.

I was looking into HFCS, but what I found said that the difference between
sucrose and HFCS is that the type 55 yields about the same products as
sucrose does on digestion--1 glucose and 1 fructose--except for the slightly
higher percentage of fructose as in 55:45 vs 50:50

>> Let's dare to ask the right questions.

> I prefer right answers :)

These only follow right questions.

> Now the rest of the story. Allen and I have crossed swords on this list,
> but we have more often been in agreement. What most do not know is Allen
> was the one who approved all my posts in opposition to his approach to the
> problem of off topic items on the Bee List. He did not keep the list to
> himself so only his view prevailed, but allowed dissent. Another reason I
> enjoy this list. We have exceptional moderators. If you wonder how I know
> it was Allen who approved my posts, the method is in the archives.

Drat!  Exposed!

Actually, Bill is right, FWIW, I am not normally moderating--I quit BEE-L
completely a year ago--and [log in to unmask] is actually shared
account that a number of moderators have access to, but Aaron is off on some
R&R, and since I've been back on BEE-L lately, he asked me to ride herd on
the list this weekend, or he'd let everything wait until he gets back ...so
here I am.

allen