From:
Walter Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 18:16:43 -1000
  Fear not fellow bee-l'er's.  I 'm sure we will soon have the final word
any day as I
sent the following request for clarification .
alter

>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: [log in to unmask] (Walter Patton)
>Subject: Formic Acid
>
>Dear Dr. Shimanuki
>         Would you comment on the issue of using Formic Acid  with honeybees.
>I enclose the following commentary on the Bee-L subscriber list and there
>seems to be a lot of confussion about the use of Formic acid.
>                                           Thank you   Walter Patton
>On Sun, 28 Jul 1996, Peter Wilson wrote:
>
>> While Formic Acid is found in honey and ants, this does not make FORMIC
>> ACID a benign substance.
>>
>> It is an acid that burns flesh without pain.
>>
>> When you can smell the fumes you have done damage to your lungs.
>>
>> Many beekeepers have experienced loss queenloss using formic.
>>
>> This is not a MITE PANACEA.
>>
>> FORMIC ACID is dangerous stuff to fool around with even if it is CHEAP.
>>
>> My fear is that because Formic is so cheap , beekeepers will forgo
>>
>> forgo testing for mites.
>>
>> Don't be too hasty to run the border with Formic Acid.
>>
>> The jury is still out on FORMIC ACID.
>>

>> regards
>>
>> Peter Wilson
>

>The jury is certainly in on Formic acid...and I'm a little surprised that
>a fellow Canadian wouldn't be aware of it....since we've been able to use
>it for a while now...
>
>I never said that formic acid was a benign substance or that it was a
>panacea....and as far as queen loss....if you use formic acid at the
>recommended rate, this should be quite rare....
>
>Battery acid can burn flesh....and inhaling carbon monoxide can kill
>you....but with due care and responsibility, these substances are QUITE
>SAFE.   Also, if we prove to sufficiently bother honeybees, we can expect
>to be stung...sometimes several times...but we use precautions, smoke and
>our abilities of observation....and come away with as few stings as
>possible
>
>Point being....Formic acid is a reasonably safe and effective treatment...
>
>Regards,
>                          Ian Watson

Walter & Elisabeth Patton,  27-703 A Ka' ie'ie Rd., Papaikou HI.,96781
    Ph./Fax. 808-964-5401       E-Mail  hihoney@ilhawaii

Beekeeper and Bed  & Breakfast Owner in Hawaii

  http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/hihoney.htm
http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/beeware.htm
   http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/lamalani.htm