From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 17:01:44 -0500
Hello Joe & All,

Joe wrote:
> I fully expect to be stung from time to time, it's the nature of the
> hobby.

Many people have taken up beekeeping thinking all the protective gear will
prevent the occasional sting.  A young fellow drove in the other day wanting
to help remove honey supers.  He said he didn't think he had ever been
stung. Looks like we will be removing supers with a *Epi-Pen* in the truck
just in case.  I always worry until new beekeepers have received a sting and
I can be sure they will not have a bad reaction.
Years ago a person decided he wanted to keep bees.  He ordered a hive &
equipment from Sears.  Put everything together, read all the beekeeping
books at the library and ordered a package of bees.
When the package arrived he took his equipment and the package to the
largest beekeeper in the state to *install the package*.   The beekeeper
(wanting to help a new beekeeper)  installed the package for him and
screened the entrance.  The beekeeper asked if the new beekeeper had ever
been stung.  The answer was no.  He warned of a possible reaction but said
those were rare.  Use protective gear. When the new beekeeper went home and
set out the new hive he didn't take the time to suit up.  Luckily he was not
alone.  His wife was watching from the house.  When he pulled the screen
from the entrance the new beekeeper was stung on the neck.  He didn't take
the time to fire the smoker either.  The new beekeeper went down and was
having trouble breathing.  His wife called 911 from the house.  He was taken
by ambulance to the ER and spent a couple days in the hospital.  The old
beekeeper picked up the new hive and bought his equipment.   The new
beekeeper never blamed the old beekeeper and I do not either.   One sting
with help around is my advice when considering beekeeping as a hobby or
working in the bee yards.   I had a helper once which went three days
removing supers before he received a sting through his sweaty bee suit on
his back.  He ducked tape all possible bee entrance points.   Boy did the
sweat pour off him.  I was relieved he only had slight swelling.  For three
days I had been looking at him every few minutes. Beekeeping help is in
short supply these days so I have to baby the new help. Their first sting is
a real eye opener (or closer).
A reporter from *The Daily Star-Journal*  (Warrensburg, MO.) came today to
take pictures of me going through a hive for a story she is writing about
me. For those in the newspapers area the story should run next week.  We got
her suited up in full gear. She was surprised at me not using anything but a
smoker and a hive tool. Heat index 110 F. and actual temperature 97 F. I
told her I would rather take the stings than suit up in the hottest part of
the day. .  I normally wear a veil but all beekeepers *look alike*  in
pictures with a veil on!   I told the reporter about the National Honey
Board T shirt which says. "American Beekeeper" with "Endangered Species"
underneath and told her to use the caption in her story.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri

Thinking  "Do as I say not as I do!"