From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:41:56 -0500
Tim asked whether the work being done by Ohio Queen Breeders is 'the same
as' the NWC work being done by Sue Cobey at Ohio State?

Ohio Queen Breeders is Dr. Joseph (Joe) Latshaw, PhD.  A former student of
Sue's.  I think, but am not certain, that he is doing postgraduate work at
the same lab where Sue works.  However, THEIR LINES ARE NOT THE SAME.

I do not know anything about Joe's strains or his work.  I had a few
conversations with Joe over the years (before he completed his PhD), and I
guess I can say I worked alongside him very briefly on one occasion.  Very,
very knowledgeable and very polite and pleasant in every way.  Technically,
I guess there is nothing wrong with Joe calling his operation Ohio Queen
Breeders, but several persons knowledgeable of his work at Ruthenburger and
with Sue Cobey have incorrectly assumed that they (his work and Sue's) are
one and the same.  This is incorrect and on some level they are competitors.
I hope that Joe did not choose the name because he thought the (incorrect)
association with Sue would be to his advantage.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com