From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 21:40:00 +0900
Tim Arheit wrote:

>What is the rational behind not using plastic foundation when producing
>organic honey?  I can understand not using wax coated plastic as provided
>by the manufacturer, you would have to get the plain and coat it
>yourself.  But disallowing plastic foundation, and allowing organic
>products to be packaged in plastic is a double standard.

Dee Lusby has made valid comments on these points.

However under the Australian organic certification standards (National
Association of Sustainable Agriculture, Australia), plastic foundation is
acceptable.  I believe this came about after representations from an
Australian beekeeper undergoing the certification process.  In discussions
with N.A.S.A.A. representatives we have been informed that if there are
inconsistencies in the standard, we are free to raise these for discussion
at any time and if supporting evidence can be provided, the requirements
will be reconsidered.

On the other hand, glass containers are recommended for packaging whilst
polythene or plastic containers are restricted.

We are "certified organic" producers, for the past 12 months, having
produced our honey in precisely the same way for the preceding 9 years.  I
have watched the great organic debate rage and die several times in Bee-L
without feeling that any contribution I could make would change minds on
either side.

We also market creamed honey, which does not come within the certified
organic guidelines as the nectar source is farm crops.  Parallel processing
requires good record keeping which we do anyway for the satisfaction of
analysing figures for best planning.

I feel Dee Lusby sums up the argument cogently by pointing out that it is
essentially a marketing tool.  We pack and market all our own honey as
"Kangaroo Island" varietal types and are now expanding our operation because
we are selling all we produce.  Sales have increased over the last 12 months
but whether this is because customers now recognise the "Kangaroo Island"
origin or the "certified organic" distinction is debatable.  Of far greater
importance in my mind is the shortage of honey created by the long lasting
drought affecting the eastern states more than our region, so that supplies
of honey, particularly of the non-supermarket blends, have increased in
price or disappeared, making ours attractive both in style and competitive
in price.  The certified organic advantage may win us a place on the shelves
but only continued demand from consumers will keep us there.

We are however receiving far more enquiries for export with the certified
organic accreditation.

The certified organic option is certainly not open to all beekeepers, but
then neither is access to desired floral sources for varietal honeys
available to all.  Any members who wish to know more about our experience
with the accreditation process are welcome to email me privately.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
J.H. & E. McAdam<[log in to unmask]