From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:31:07 -0500
Jerry wrote:
"How then, do we explain new reports that we have received from  long-term,
experienced beekeepers in Hawaii, who are also seeing what looks like  CCD?

Presumably, mites don't occur in Hawaii."

Taking the above from the perspective of an individual with very limited
  second hand to say the least knowledge relating to CCD, the comment
raises some questions.

1. How is it confirmed that a defunct colony has suffered from CCD?

2. Should the presence of the Varroa mite be searched for in the
Hawaiian Islands ?

3. If it is accepted that Varroa mites are absent in the Hawaii Islands
and CCD is present, what conclusion may be publicly stated ?

4. Is it possible to state that if Varroa is absent and CCD is present,
   that viral infections transferred from mites to bees are no longer a
causative factor in the development of CCD ?

5. Is this piece of new information welcome or a complicating factor to
those investigating CCD ?

I do note that it was stated that the beekeepers are looking at what
looks like and not what is definitely CCD - there is a BIG difference!

Regards,

Peter.