From:
Dave and Judy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 23:11:52 -0400
You are not mistaken.  I was.  We are fixing the reference on the website.
Thanks for catching this.  Personally, I think the essay contest is a great
idea.  The national winner of the contest this year hails from Kentucky.  As a
matter of fact, from our own county!  However, the winner is not a beekeeper
and I have only met her at a 4h talkmeet in which I was a judge and she was a
speaker.  The only concern I have is getting the kids to write.  In our state
we are lucky to get 4 or 5 entries.  I wonder if all states are similar.  We
need to do more to get the kids to write.  I offer our kids the use of our
personal beekeeping library and our computer if they don't have access to one.

Publication wise, I asked for and received both Patricia's and her mother's
permission to post her essay.  They also gave me permission to submit the essay
to our local newspaper.  I have left a message requesting further permission,
however, Patricia is a savvy 'net' user and I would guess that she understands
that once it is posted to a website it is generally available for use with
proper acknowledgment.  But I will ask to make sure and post her response.  I
would like any who use the essay to forward a copy to me so I can pass it on to
Patricia.  What a great section in her graduation package (I can't recall the
name of that thing - each student must compile a folder with various works they
have done during high school to earn their diploma, and to earn their student
standing in their class).  We have a P.O. Box that will help for delivery.

Judging wise, I may not have been clear in my preface.  Patricia's essay did
not advance beyond the county level because the STATE judges deemed it 'not on
topic'.  My reward for arguing the point with the judges is that I was
appointed to be a judge next year.  ;o}

Unfortunately our local club is penny poor.  We only charge $1.00 as annual
dues.  Some members donate a bit.  Our treasury is around $300.00, and that's
taken us 5 years to collect.  So any hope for an education fund is many, many
years down the road.  But I really appreciate the thought.  I think it will be
a topic for discussion at our meeting this coming Monday.   (By the way, Dave,
I thought you may have a comment about the "rabble-rousers" with the end note
identifying your website!)

Bee Culture wise, last February one of our members commented at our monthly
meeting that the Bee Culture he had received that day was worth the cost of his
annual subscription.  The next 11 months would be free.

I will be seeing Patricia this week as we are helping her to build a bee vacuum
and frame display case to enter in the state fair.  I will be sure to pass on
your well deserved compliments.

I am so pleased with all of your reviews of Patricia's essay.  I knew you would
like it.

Judy in Kentucky, USA

P.S.  Off topic:  My mind is under siege.  ABF, NHB...  They changed our area
code 6 months ago and now they are changing our address because we might be
getting 911 within a year or so.  Not only will I be lost, I can't even call
home for help!