From:
"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 00:41:22 -0400
Hi Guys,

The term 'organic' has always been an arbitrary one, except when I took
organic chemistry :>) It's usually defined by an 'organic' guru and promoted
by his followers. It's not so much a products state as it is a way of
production. Dissention is a common hallmark of organic production as one
guru's methods will differ from another guru's. The most vocal guru or the
one with the most adherents usually controls the direction/definition
organic production goes, at least for awhile :>)

Controversy is not new with organic honey. Just take a look at the past
controversies in organic gardening/farming concerning the use soil additives
like gypsum, etc.

In the US, there are only a couple of voices actively promoting 'Organic
Beekeeping'. And I definately know which one talks the loudest on the
internet. :>) That person is fanatically passionate about small cell/organic
beekeeping and is greatly invested in the ideas/methods/issues associated
with it. Don't expect any recognition or much time from that person if you
disagree with the methods. The info on the home pages, for the lists run by
that person say it all, basically no nothing, no how. And the lists are not
discussion lists outside the narrow realm stated on the home pages. And
that's not bad. It's just the preacher preaching to the choir:>)

But that's not hijacking the word organic unless one lets that happen. I
know of at least 6 beekeepers who have been using some variation of small
cell beekeeping in their hives for 5 years or more. And all of them have had
a good measure of success with it. None of them are fully invested in all
the methods purported by that small cell guru. Yet, they are indebted, as I
am, to that guru for sharing the small cell concept. And they are personally
responsible for sorting out the wheat from the chaff for themselves.

I'm on a roll, lookout!:>)))

I find it a curious matter, that the idea that cell size/broodnest structure
can affect bee behavior, is met with such hostility. When beekeepers share
their small cell observations, and expect others to do their own sorting,
the cries of Prove! Prove! are quickly produced as though the
observations/results were fabrications.

I find the most responsible course is to try and see for ones self why the
observations/results are possible. It may require a little work, thinking,
and some measure of time. It's alot harder than sitting around crying Prove!
Prove! and waiting to be told what to do, which I find to be very childish.

If someone has differing observations and experience, then bring them
forward. Let's discuss them and sort the matter out. But if someones's
observations and experience are nitpicked without any of the above, then
that behavior reveals a child with a very poor character.

Regards
Dennis
Thinking I must be getting cranky with my gray hair, as I like the children
but hate any extended baby sitting.