From:
"Matthew W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:41:08 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald Herrin" <[log in to unmask]>
> workers. I had never seen that before). I want to get rid of all 18
> frames of badly drawn comb and replace with a combination of good drawn
> comb and foundation. I'm tempted to wait until spring, but I really

One of the best benefits of plastic foundation is that it can be scraped
down when you find imperfect comb.  There are plenty of beekeepers with
opinions on both sides of the fence when it comes to plastic but my thoughts
are those beekeepers resistant to plastic haven't properly weighed the
advantages or are simply too familiar with the 'other'.  Plastic takes a bit
of good management to get it drawn properly - but once it's straight you're
FAR better off in the long term.

Comparison?  Solid wax is easy to draw and the bees go right to it - but is
a pain to get it mounted straight/proper.   Duragilt?  Read George Imirie's
comments!  Once bees chew down on Duragilt they'll never - ever - ever
re-draw; Though Duragilt is easier to mount to a frame than solid wax
foundation.  In my yard ALL Duragilt is destined for the melter if not
already disposed.

Other? With misplaced/unattended supers, mice and moths will completely
destroy all-wax or Duragilt.  In the two times I've had bears wreck my yards
(once by accident & the other on purpose during a study for the USDA & CDOW)
any wax/duragilt frames were turned to splinters.  Plastic mounted frames
gave the bears something else to think about during their feast following
the first bite, and will instead 'carefully' lick off the comb and leave the
frame intact.  Not a great 'plus' but definitely a positive if your hives
are at risk to bears.

Plastic is an absolute bother to get your bees to draw out.  The reason why
you have terrible comb in the first place is the fellow whom gave you the
equipment ran 9 frames per deep (18 frames total) violating proper
bee-space.  Put in 10 frames to get them to draw.  Once drawn - THEN - take
out the 10'th frame -if- you prefer to run 9 frames/deep.  You will NOT get
good frames drawn with plastic unless you pay attention to bee-space.  Take
the time to scrape off the imperfections even if it's tearing off 100% of
the comb.  Use any burr-comb with scrap honey and rub it onto bare spots.
Bees are 1000 times more apt to draw plastic with either sugar-water or
honey on the foundation.  Feed - Feed- Feed.

There is more you could do than just letting them go once the frames are
scraped & re-started, such as moving the combs around and inter-spacing the
undrawn foundation but since you're new I'll just say let the bees fill it
out as they see fit.  DO NOT place an undrawn plastic-foundation frame in
the middle of your broodnest!  If they start drawing burr comb again then
take the frames out and scrape down the imperfections and/or try reversing
the frame in the same location so as to accommodate proper bee space between
that frame and the next one, depending on how the next one is drawn.

To answer your hesitation on whether to make the bees re-start on the frames
now or next spring:  Depending on your area -if- the flow has slowed or
stopped, chances are you can still get the bees to draw for at least another
month by strong feeding 1:1 by volume (sugar/water).  Check your hive every
4 or 5 days for progress.  There's no need to pull the frames with brood
once they're straight - just pay attention to the outside of the broodnest
or just on the edges.

Matthew Westall
    //        Earthling Bees
 >8(())))-     "Take me to your feeder"