From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 23:15:46 -0400
Bob writes:
> I think you and Brian need to get your facts correct. Bayer has twisted your mind so you can't think straight.

This sort of comment is unnecessary and insulting. Nobody needs to take Bayer's word for it. Independent studies have found no link between neonics and massive die-offs. They have uncovered widespread hive contamination by miticides, such as the organophosphate coumaphos, often used illegally and in home made concoctions. Here are excerpts from a report by Marie Chauzat, who's not a stooge of Bayer, by the way.

* * *

> A 3-yr field survey was carried out in France, from 2002 to 2005, to study honey bee (Apis mellifera L.) colony health in relation to pesticide residues found in the colonies. This study was motivated by recent massive losses of honey bee colonies, and our objective was to examine the possible relationship between low levels of pesticide residues in apicultural matrices (honey, pollen collected by honey bees, beeswax) and colony health as measured by colony mortality and adult and brood population abundance.

> No statistical relationship was found between colony mortality and pesticide residues. When pesticide residues from all matrices were pooled together, a mixed model analysis did not show a significant relationship between the presence of pesticide residues and the abundance of brood and adults, and no statistical relationship was found between colony mortality and pesticide residues.

> Tau-fluvalinate and coumaphos were the two most frequently found residues in beeswax samples. The acaricide coumaphos is used to treat varroa mites and was frequently found in apicultural matrices at high concentrations ... The commercial honey bee veterinarian medication containing coumaphos (Perizin) was not available in France when samples were collected; however, some apiculturists prepared home-made coumaphos formulations using the dog drug Asuntol.

Influence of Pesticide Residues on Honey Bee (Hymenoptera: Apidae) Colony Health in France
by MARIE-PIERRE CHAUZAT Environ. Entomol. 38(3): 514-523 (2009)