From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 09:51:48 -0700
At 07:51 PM 05/01/97 -0600, you wrote:
>> Putting the new foundation or empty combs in the middle is rather
>> drastic, as far as splitting the brood nest.  What I do is push the
>> remaining combs with BROOD together in the center of the hive body,
>> and have the pollen/honey and honey combs at the sides, outermost.
>> The replacement combs or foundation then go in the space between the
>> consolidated brood combs and the outer food combs.
>
>I have wondered about this the many years I have been doing this, and
>one time do it one way, and another time, another -- sometimes in
>the same yard.
>
>I supppose it has to do with the 'art' side of beekeeping.  When you
>have a hive apart, it is apparent whether they are good wax makers,
>or not.  This is part of the unconscious decision making process.
>Other fators, such as the strength, time of year, flow, swarming
>factors, etc. will be part of the decision too, as will be the
>question of how many adult bees will remain in the parent hive.

Right.  However, for the sake of efficiency and to give direction to
employees, I find it necessary to determine a plan of action to use as a
'default'.

>I notice each fall that some few hives have failed to complete the
>foundation, while others have done beautifully, regardless of the
>position of the foundation.

My experience is that the comb is drawn almost immediately, in the center of
the nest, and that the Queen uses it.  It is unusual for it to be used for
honey storage.  However, I still wonder if I am holding back the Queen.
This frame replacement occurs whenever we remove frames of brood so the
colonies are always strong.  I am beginning to feel that foundation might be
damaging and now I am beginning to wonder if an empty but drawn comb might
also be damaging.

I would appreciate your comments.

>Allen
>
>W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
>RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
>Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
>Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>

Eric
Eric Abell
Gibbons, Alberta Canada