Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 16:08:21 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Dear all,

From time to time I avail myself of the immense wealth of knowledge that the members of this list collectively hold. I think the last time was about toxicity of basswood trees. I come knocking on your doors again with another request for assistance. (Except that with email I guess I have sneaked past your front doors and am already deep inside your houses and offices! So, I come knocking on your in boxes instead.)

The Xerces Society is participating in the North American Pollinator Protection Campaign and through one of the campaign's working groups is trying to prepare an overview of what protection exists for pollinators. To quote from a draft document, the object of our task is:
"To produce a source book or toolbox of innovative and successful models of policies and initiatives used to encourage pollinator conservation projects or, at least, to reduce damage to existing pollinator populations. These policies and initiatives could include, but are not limited to, planning and development regulations, fiscal incentives (tax breaks, grant schemes, etc.), legislation to protect wildlife or habitats, organizational policies, and pesticide use regulations."

Can anyone tell me about schemes in the areas where you live or work (I know that many commercial beekeepers have operations that cover many states)? I already know about the EPA bee labeling scheme for pesticides, but think that there must be some more policies around to encourage conservation and protection of pollinators. Are there tax incentives for pollination businesses?

I am also interested in schemes in other countries. If we can find examples of good practise outside the U.S. then there may be some chance that these could be used as models for what could be done here. For example, in Britain there are recovery plans prepared for a dozen or so endangered bee species (these are on the web at www.ukbap.org.uk) and there is also a pilot project to incorporate red clover and other good bumble bee plants into the approved seed mixes for part of the Countryside Stewardship Scheme that provides grants to farmers for conservation projects. There must be other schemes in other countries that are worth looking at.

Any pointers or information you can give me would be excellent. Either respond via the list or directly to me at [log in to unmask] Thanks in advance for the time and thought put into your replies.

Matthew

The Xerces Society
4828 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR 97215
Tel: 503-232 6639   Fax: 503-233 6794
Email: [log in to unmask]
For information and membership details, see our website:
http://www.xerces.org/

ATOM RSS1 RSS2