From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 2015 18:06:29 -0500
a Mr Borst snip...
This is false. I have been working at CU for 20 years now, in four different departments, and with the responsibility of purchasing hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of supplies and equipment. Grant money becomes CU money. They tell us what we may and may not purchase, from whom we must purchase it, and the material is their property.

They can sell it, give it away, or trash it as they see fit. The decisions are often made by building supervisors who have often have no idea what the stuff is. In fact, the University appropriated, sold, gave away or threw away most of the contents of the Dyce Lab. I know this all firsthand, whereas your comments are speculative and groundless.

my comments...
well I am not an accountant nor a lawyer but I think you are speaking way beyond your pay grade.  at least here any federal dollars or inventory is tracked by an entity distinct from the University and an agreement is still an agreement no matter who pays the up front 'capitalization' or who pays for the maintenance for the item(s).  unless a specific time for a legal agreement is specifically bounded by time even time does not nullify the agreement or allow the parties to pick and choose which part of the agreement they do or do not wish to fulfill.   then of course there is the legal principle of convolution of funds which would suggest to me your 'groundless' is just as speculative as the statement you have ridiculed.

the concept that these tax payer purchased items can be 'sell it, give it away, or trash it as they see fit' at least here could get someone facing a judge and quite possible jail time for theft.  the 'ethic course' required for any University employ would suggest to me that at the very least the knowledge of doing any of the above outside a university determined 'salvage sale' would get an employee fired.  Or perhaps Cornell doesn't impose a YEARLY ethics course on their employees????

again as Dirty Harry said.... a man need to recognize his own limitations.

and of course a happy new year to all....