Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2018 08:48:56 -0400
Hi Juanse and all
The idea that fungi will save the world is not new, and the lead author on this study has been patenting his ideas for years. A glance at one of his books gives a glimpse of his thinking. By the way, he thanks his critics so I feel that he will appreciate my critique. He writes:

> I want to thank my critics: you have made me stronger, and no doubt you will continue to do so. I thank the thousands of mycologists, from shamans to scientists, whose collective experiences created the body-intellect that has become the springboard for the mycorestoration revolution. Last, I am humbled by the psilocybes who have been my mushroom spirit teachers. May future generations continue to build upon this foundation of knowledge to help the health of people and our planet.

> I believe that mycelium is the neurological network of nature. Interlacing mosaics of mycelium infuse habitats with information-sharing membranes. These membranes are aware, react to change, and collectively have the long-term health of the host environment in mind. The mycelium stays in constant molecular communication with its environment, devising diverse enzymatic and chemical responses to complex challenges.

> I believe that the mycelium operates at a level of complexity that exceeds the computational powers of our most advanced supercomputers. I see the mycelium as the Earth's natural Internet, a consciousness with which we might be able to communicate. Through cross-species interfacing, we may one day exchange information with these sentient cellular networks. Because these externalized neurological nets sense any impression upon them, from footsteps to falling tree branches, they could relay enormous amounts of data regarding the movements of all organisms through the landscape. A new bioneering science could be born, dedicated to programming myconeurological networks to monitor and respond to threats to environments. Mycelial webs could be used as information platforms for mycoengineered ecosystems.

¶

Let me get this straight: his spiritual teachers are magic mushrooms, he believes that "the mycelium is" the Internet of nature, they are conscious, and we can communicate with them. But wait, there's more:

> the fact that NASA has established the Astrobiology Institute and that Cambridge University Press has established The International Journal for Astrobiology is strong support for the theory that life springs from matter and is likely widely distributed throughout the galaxies. I predict an Interplanetary Journal of Astromycology will emerge as fungi are discovered on other planets. It is possible that proto-germplasm could travel throughout the galactic expanses riding upon comets or carried by stellar winds. This form of interstellar protobiological migration, known as panspermia, does not sound as farfetched today as it did when first proposed by Sir Fred Doyle and Chandra Wickramasinghe in the early 1970s.

¶

Does not sound farfetched? Not compared to the other ideas, I suppose.

(excerpts from "Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World" By Paul Stamets)